To Speak or Not To Speak (Lex)

I used to never be much of a talker. I can write a lot, type a lot, and make it seem like I am a chatterbox! But when it comes to speaking in front of people, that was something I was very much terrified of. What if I messed something up? What if I didn't make sense? What if no one liked what I had to say? On top of that, I would be nervous I looked like a cherry - bright red!! Talk about embarrassing! 
In the last year or so, I have felt God tugging on my heart to start speaking. I wrestled with Him because I didn't like to talk, and I never really felt like I had anything worth talking about. I don't have a testimony that makes your jaw drop, and those seemed to be the only messages I had ever heard. The stories of a man or woman who did drugs, drank, had sex with multiple partners, and was delivered from all of those things. I thought that those were the only God-stories worth telling. God made it so clear to me though, that I have a story. No matter if it's a jaw-dropper or not, I DO have a story. He has been putting this passion for speaking on my heart more and more. He has shown me in so many ways that He has given me this life for a reason, and He wants to use it to advance His Kingdom! He has made it so clear, "They are not your words, they are Mine." and that has eased my nerves each and every time I have gotten up on a stage to speak. They are His words, not my own! How amazing is that? 

Did you know that you have a story? There is somebody out there who needs to hear it, no matter what you've been through. You know, there are a lot of girls who I have mentored and talk to each and every day who don't understand why they've gone through some things they've been through, and there's only one reply I can think of to tell them, and it's the simple fact that there are going to be people who enter your life who are looking for answers. If you've been through heartbreak and God carried you through it, and there's a person in your life who is experiencing that right now, you will be able to show them how you got through it. If you had an addiction, and there's someone in your life who is struggling with an addiction, you can show them how you overcame that. If you stand for purity, and there's a young woman (or man) in your life struggling with that, and you know how to help him/her because you've been at the same place in your own life, you will be able to show him/her how to stay pure! Isn't it amazing how God works through difficult times? I am blessed and so encouraged by it! Remember, your story is worth telling.
God has great plans for your life, and the lives of the people you encounter. Let His light shine through you!

1 Timothy 1:12, "I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that He considered me trustworthy, appointing me to His service."

-Lex

2 comments:

  1. I can relate on not being much of a talker. I have always been shy and anything that involved me speaking was avoided as much as possible. I definitely express myself better through writing and other forms of communication, such as IM, FB, and even this comment box.
    I can also relate on the part about not feeling like I have much of a story when it comes to my testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same, even with the cherry part. But lately God has been throwing me into situations in which i have to be a leader and with that come talking. I also never really had a "good" testimony. I grew up in Christian home, have a good family and great friends to back me. I've decided to just show God's love to people who will one day have a great testimony and then I just might be part of it.

    ReplyDelete