Don't take advantage. (Torre)

So this past weekend marked our 1oth year of going to a retreat with our dad called "Father/Daughter Retreat" good name huh? :)
We have been going since I was 9 and Lex was 11. Its a weekend to get away and do "dad" stuff. Like shoot guns (I hate guns.. But Lex shot a pistol this year!), paintball, archery, build rockets, disc golf, have a formal dinner (Our dads write us love notes (: )and so much more. Lex and I cherish this time with our dad since he likes to be home while us girls go out on the road.
We always meet up with our friends the Mortensons, Asproths, and Thoreens when we get there and its tradition to play volleyball till 1am and play paintball daughters against the dads. (So far we usually win..) ;)
During Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday morning we have 4 sessions to dig into Gods word and then break out into sessions so we can talk about "girl" stuff with our friends. Its so awesome to catch up with our friends about life... oh and boys... ;)
Lex and I are so blessed to have the dad we do and this weekend is always a friendly reminder of that.
At the end of the weekend our group gets together, picks a rock for themselves or as a family, and we go to a rock pile that has been in the works for years. We all stand around it, read Joshua 4, say how thankful we are, what we learned during the weekend and pray with each other. As we were praying this year God put on my heart "Don't take advantage". Now.. If you know me.. I do NOT like crying.. and so everyone prayed and it was silent.. till one of the dads said "Girls.. If God is laying something on your heart.. share it.." I started crying and told everyone (mostly to the girls) "While we were praying God put on my heart to NEVER take advantage of our dads. We are blessed to have them and some people don't even have one. And if we didn't have our dads we wouldn't know what to do." While we were praying I was just going to say "bless our travels home.. thanks for this awesome weekend...etc.." and God THE MAKER OF EVERYTHING told me to speak out when I wasn't even looking or wanting to. When God wants it... He gets it.. :)
So I just wanted to blog about our weekend with our dad and hopefully some of you girls out there email us and ask us to come with your dads next year! It is so much fun! So I will be waiting ;)
Here's some pictures!
 



















And that's our weekend at Father/Daughter.

1 comment: